Austin Antitrust Lawyer
Austin Legal Counsel and Representation in Unfair Competition Litigation
John McDuff, Attorney at Law · Austin, Texas, Trial Lawyer
A word such as “unfair” may be difficult to interpret. Defining its precise meaning presents difficulties even to judges and juries. Over the last few decades, the concept of “unfair competition” has been defined and refined through legislation as well as court decisions. Specific offenses that rise to the level of unfair competition in the world of business are seen in the following:
- Anti-trust law violations
- Monopolies aimed at keeping competitors out
- Tortious interference with business relations
- Unethical bidding procedures
- Business advantages obtained through bribery or extortion
- Violation of intellectual property rights
- And others, such as fraud, false advertising, ‘bait and switch’ selling tactics, unauthorized brand substitution, misappropriation of confidential information by a former employee to solicit customers, theft of trade secrets, breach of a restrictive covenant, and other improper practices concerning products or services.
Intended interference with competition which causes verifiable harm to a legitimate business — as opposed to contractual disputes — is the essence of most recognized instances of unfair competition.
Whatever concern you may have regarding possible unfair competition that is negatively impacting your Central Texas business, you are urged to contact the law offices of John McDuff, Attorney at Law, at 512.457.1177. You may be able to obtain not only monetary damages, but also punitive damages.
I am a veteran business law attorney with more than 30 years’ experience practicing law. I am routinely called upon to litigate matters with millions of dollars at stake. Business Litigation is a prominent focus of my law firm.
The quality of my work is well recognized by my clients, and I have received the AV rating* under Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. My law firm also stands out for the personal service that clients receive — including access to me by email or cell phone 24/7/365 and off-hour appointments as needed.
My clients are predominantly from Austin and Central Texas, occasionally from other states.