Insurance Coverage Disputes
Insurance Coverage Disputes in Austin
John McDuff, Attorney at Law, Representing Businesses and Individuals
When high dollar amounts are at stake in a claim for insurance coverage, a lawyer’s careful and painstaking review of the policy in question may provide critically needed understanding. People often misinterpret common vocabulary as it is used in insurance policies. The complexity of word choices, exceptions and conditions — even grammatical structures — can be of great consequence.
Know Your Rights and Responsibilities
To meet insurance coverage disputes head-on and forthrightly, with full understanding of your legal rights and obligations, contact the law offices of John McDuff, Attorney at Law at 512.4577.1177. Know how to protect your business’s legal rights to coverage for claims that may have elements of doubt or controversy such as the following:
1) Questions over whether a particular event or loss is covered under policy terms. Often, an insurance company asserts that a loss is not covered, and the policyholder’s only recourse is to obtain a legal opinion regarding what the contract actually says. A knowledgeable attorney is a valuable resource and advocate for policyholders dealing with insurance coverage disputes.
2) Disagreements over the amount to be reimbursed for a covered loss. When costs of a building, a piece of equipment or medical treatment are duly considered, is the insurance company paying enough to cover all damage and required remediation? Will the damaged building, vehicle or equipment be restored as nearly as possible to pre-loss status?
With 30 years’ experience practicing law in Texas, I am prepared to help you obtain the insurance benefits to which you are entitled. When an insurer balks, reneges or shortchanges you on benefits, I know how to protect your rights. I work with my clients to pursue the best attainable outcome, and I pride myself on providing personal service. I am available to clients 24/7/365, and accept night and weekend appointments.
Examples of actions that I may take on your behalf are the following:
- Reviewing insurance policies and rendering knowledgeable opinions.
- Negotiating with insurance companies.
- Filing lawsuits when appropriate — an expensive endeavor most often done in high-stakes, challenging cases.
Legal Precedent May Provide the Answer
Insurance policies involve contractual obligations on the part of the insurer as well as the insured. The contractual terms of any insurance policy are typically complex and detailed. Precise definitions of specific words used in insurance policy contracts have been the subject of legal precedents in prior cases brought before courts.
Laws and legal precedents concerning fair dealing and “good faith” versus “bad faith” decisions and actions on the part of insurance companies are a key source of support for individuals and businesses engaged in insurance coverage controversies. contact the Business Litigation law firm of John McDuff, Attorney at Law, to discuss your insurance coverage matter.
My clients have long respected and appreciated my work. I have also received the AV rating* under Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system.
My clients are predominantly from Austin and Central Texas, and occasionally from other states. Call 512.457.1177 to schedule an appointment.
*AV, BV and CV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.