Enforcement of Foreign Judgements

When the court of one jurisdiction recognizes the judicial decision enacted by another different jurisdiction, it is known as foreign judgement. It is not uncommon for creditors to have judicial action taken against a debtor in one jurisdiction, while the debtor resides in another. If you wish to enforce a foreign judgement in Texas, you must take a number of steps in order to domesticate the judgment. An experienced lawyer will be an invaluable asset to you during this process.

Aiding individuals and businesses in Texas to enforce foreign judgement.

Austin business attorney, John McDuff, represents businesses and individuals in a broad spectrum of business litigation matters. He helps business creditors with six- and seven-figure foreign judgement enforcement. In addition, he can help clients collect upon these judgments as well.

The Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act

In Texas, the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act is followed for all foreign judgements. In order to domesticate a foreign judgment, it will be necessary to file the following documents in a Texas state court.

  • An authenticated copy of the judgment.
  • An affidavit with the name and address of the judgment debtor, the judgment creditor and the judgment creditor’s attorney.

After filing the proper documents, the Clerk of Court will send a notice of the filing to the judgment debtor. Once your judgment becomes enforceable in Texas, John McDuff can undertake appropriate collection actions on your behalf. These actions could include conducting post-judgment discovery to locate the debtor’s assets. Collectability can be an overlooked part of any type of litigation. Throughout your case, John McDuff will offer thorough, candid counsel on the advisability of collection efforts.

Hire John McDuff

I am attorney John McDuff, and I am ready to take your case. I encourage you to call me at 512.457.1177 to speak with me about your legal concerns. I take cases in Austin, Travis County, and Central Texas.


The information that you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice, and any use of this information will not create an attorney-client relationship. We invite you to contact us to get advice.